Tuesday, September 1, 2009

New Eyes for Old Surroundings

I saw a post recently with a list of advice for a new college freshman. My heart started beating wildly at the thought of being in college again, no work tying me down, all the opportunity in the world at my doorstep. And then I realized my doorstep has hardly changed.

While a few had no application to my life, (I have no desire to kiss random boys even if they are cute) I forget how much opportunity lies a few blocks from my home. My apologies, Stillwater. Here are a few of my favorites from her list.

1.Go to all the free lectures and activities they offer, even if you are busy and tired.
8. Watch lots of foreign films and go to lots of concerts even if you don't have the money. That is what college is for.
11. If you can't get in a class you want because it is full--don't take no for an answer.
15. Find the girls that dress cool, make friends with them and ask them to help dress you. (speaking from experience here)
18. Get a Vespa.
20.Take art classes even if you aren't an art major. (This one might be me projecting my own regret.)

Today I research. Tomorrow I conquer. Foreign films, here I come.

1 comment:

  1. Although, I always seemed to be running around in college, completely busy, I wish I would have done more too. Like the art class you suggested. Now I have this great idea for my photography and don't know where to start. Time to maybe check out the local college. At least football is starting up so I can go back and pretend I am a college freshman!

    ReplyDelete